Thursday 23rd February: Impact Hub Birmingham, B5 5NR, 5 til 8pm
Friday 24th February: Impact Hub Birmingham, B5 5NR, 5 til 8pm
Saturday 4th March: The Old REP Theatre B5 4DY, 12 til 3pm
The Old Rep, Flatpack Projects and Beatfreeks are joining forces to present a series of workshops to give you the tools and knowledge to build your own film night. We have partnered up with Southside Producers; A strong and skilled collective of young emerging producers aged 16 - 30 formed by a partnership between Beatfreeks and The Old Rep in association with MAIA Creatives, supported by Arts Connect and Southside BID. They are passionate about creative and producing innovative arts-based events that raise the profile of Birmingham.
It’s now easier than ever to put on your own screening and films are a brilliant way to start a conversation or break down barriers. This series of workshops will take you from compiling your own online playlist (whether that’s obscure art house, the latest Blockbusters or cats on YouTube) to putting on your own event, picking up loads of useful skills along the way. The workshop will cover the basics of:
- Research and curation - advice on tracking down great content, developing themes, accessing archives, and combining film with other elements like performance, DJs and discussion.
- Licensing and copyright - the nitty-gritty on getting permission to show work.
- Venues and technical - picking the right place for your event and ensuring it's somewhere your audience will go. Setting up a screen, projector, PA, and compiling all your content for a seamless show.
- PR & promotion - how to get people through the door and build your brand.
- Event production - getting yourself organised, planning a schedule, managing your budget, recruiting volunteers, setting up a space, health & safety, troubleshooting, etc.
This ends in a sharing around your chosen theme and collation of films during the festival 'NowBrum' running 2nd-4th March (on 4th March).
Please make sure you have booked on to all sessions!